Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My 3 favorite books from 2010

     Happy New Year everybody! Sorry I haven't been keeping up with the posts on a regular basis. The last couple weeks of grad school kicked my butt, and then the last couple weeks have been crazy with work and other stuff. I hope everyone had a great holiday season. Even though 2010 is over, I thought I would share my 3 favorite books that I read in 2010.

3. Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
This book follows a modern American family. It is told by different members of that family: the father, mother, daughter, son, in addition to a friend of the family. I must admit, I loved the voices of some characters more than others. I think Patty, the mom, is my favorite, while the family friend, a musician, is my least favorite. There is lots packed into this novel, from trauma, to cheating, good and bad parenting, and conservationism. It's a whopper, coming in at nearly 600 pages.  This book isn't for everyone. I read somewhere that Franzen is an author that writes about "upper middle class white people and their problems". While I can't necessarily disagree with this comment, I must admit I really love his writing style. I also love stories about dysfunctional families, and if you do as well this one is for you.

2. Room by Emma Donoghue
This story is about mother and her son. The son, who is named Jack, is turning 5 at the start of the novel. He is like many other 5 year old boys. He loves to play games, read books, and watch Dora the Explorer. Jack, is different though, in that he has never been in the outside world. Jack and his mother are being held captive by a man, locked away in a large backyard shed. Jack was born in this shed, a place he calls Room. He tells the story, and right from the start it becomes clear he isn't aware that he and his mom are captives. The novel is dark, but it isn't all sad. Jack is a funny, interesting character, with a truly unique perspective. Room is unlike anything else I've read, both in story and stylistically. It was a touching story, and a book I won't soon forget.

1. Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
Although this book came out in 2009, I didn't read it until this year. It is out in paperback now, and hands down, this was my favorite book of the year. The story follows two twin brothers, orphaned at birth. The brothers are adopted by a midwife at the hospital, and all of the hospital staff helps raise them. The story is set in Ethiopia, starting in the late 50's-early 60's. The story follows them the twins Marion and Shiva through childhood, up to adulthood. I loved the characters, and Verghese also makes the setting (both Ethiopia and the hospital) main characters as well.Verghese is a doctor by profession, and that comes out in his writing right from the beginning. He is a master writer as well. The following quote comes from page 6, and I read this line over and over, before moving on.

 " We come unbidden into this life, and if we are lucky, we find a purpose beyond starvation, misery, and early death which, lest we forgot, is the common lot."

This a must read, especially for those that enjoyed The Kite Runner. Verghese does a fantastic job of taking us to Ethiopia, and I feel like I learned a lot about the country from reading this book. I can't say enough good things about Cutting for Stone, and I urge everyone to pick up a copy. This one had me crying long after I had finished the book, so keep those tissues handy.

I hope you all have a great year filled with lots of good books, and good friends too. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment