Thursday, November 11, 2010

My favorite mystery writer!

     Hello everyone! This week, I thought I would share with you my favorite mystery author. He has a new book, so I thought it would be appropriate to introduce to Dennis Lehane. I was first introduced to Mr. Lehane by a fellow associate of the bookstore I worked at years and years ago. Since then, Lehane has written many novels, but personally I've always enjoyed beginning with the first book of the series. In this case, that book is A Drink Before the War. This series follows two private investigators, Angie and Patrick. The setting of most of Lehane's novels is Boston. The city itself is often just as important piece of the plot as the characters. Lehane does a great job of painting the darker sides of the city.
     Did I say darker sides? I meant it. Rhese are mysteries, but Lehane incorporates social issues, and the darker side of people. He does a great job of characterization, and I feel like I have come to know Angie and Patrick extremely well. What I love most about Lehane is his writing is smart with a moral complexity to it. Lehane has written 6 novels with these characters, and the newest and final book in the series Moonlight Mile was just released. I haven't read this one yet, but it's next on my reading list. Lehane hasn't written about these characters in over ten years, so I'm really excited.
     During his break from Angie and Patrick, Lehane has written some stand alone novels. You may of heard of some of these, which include Mystic River (which was made into a film with Sean Penn) and Shutter Island (the so-so film directed by Martin Scorsese starring Leonardo Dicaprio). So if you don't feel like starting a new series, but still wanna check out this fantastic mystery writer, read one of these novels. They are wonderful! If you want to get the full Lehane experience, start with A Drink Before the War. My dad has read all of these novels as well, and really loves them too! Enjoy and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment