Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Welcome! (And Patrick Ness)!

     Hello fellow bibliophiles! I am excited to have the opportunity to have a space to write and discuss my babies, BOOKS! I have enjoyed reading since I was a child, and I spent many a summer in the corner of the library reading Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Babysitter's Club (yes, I admit I loved these), Christopher Pike, and R.L. Stine (pre-Goosebumps fame). My love of reading has been an important part of my life ever since I can remember. My love of books and reading inspired me to get my first job at a library.
     Throughout high school, I worked for Waldenbooks, where I found and loved many new authors. My reading tastes have changed throughout the years, but my passion for the written word has always been a constant in my life. Today, I am pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science, and again I work for a bookstore. Even with all this craziness in my life, I still find time to read, and I am here to share my thoughts with you.
     I want this to be a place to talk and discuss any and everything about books. I hope to give you some great recommendations (while getting some great ones in return from you). I welcome your comments, I hope to update with at least one post a week, so check back often! For my first book post, I am really excited to share with you a series I just finished up entitled Chaos Walking by Patrick Ness. The series is a trio of books, and the first book is The Knife of Never Letting Go, book two is The Ask and the Answer, and book three is Monsters of Men!
   Patrick Ness is an ex-pat who lives in London, and he writes for The Guardian. The books are Young Adult literature, but don't let this stop you, there is something here for everyone. The books take place on a distant planet, where people from Earth have settled to start a new life. Of course, things haven't gone as planned, and shortly after landing, all of the thoughts that the men think are broadcast to everyone around them. Women for some reason don't ever broadcast what they call "noise", but you can imagine what walking through town is like, hearing all of your neighbors thoughts.
    The series is dystopic (which has been all the rage since The Hunger Games) and follows a boy, Todd Hewitt, as he approaches 13, the age at which the boys of Prentisstown become men. The style in which this is written takes a little getting used, but once you get past that, hold on. The story is imaginative, emotional, and a real page turner. The last book is out, so you have no excuse not go out this minute and get these books. They have been really under appreciated. I just finished book three, and let me tell you, Monsters of Men was everything Mockingjay should have been, but wasn't. The conclusion does not disappoint. So what are you waiting for? Go start  The Knife of Never Letting Go, but make sure you have time, because once you get sucked into Todd Hewitt's head, you won't want to stop until the thrilling and exciting conclusion! Happy reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment