Monday, October 25, 2010

Scaring up some Halloween reads!

      It's that time of year again, when the ghosts and goblins haunt the streets. I thought I would help to get you in the mood for Halloween by sharing some books that go bump in the middle of the night. My first Halloween pick, is a couple of years older, but it was one of my favorite reads that year. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield is a gothic ghost story. The tale involves two women, one a writer named Vida whose story unfolds throughout the book. When Vida has been interviewed about her life by journalists, the facts are never the same. No one knows the truth about Vida. Our other character, Margaret is a bookseller in her father's shop. Margaret hopes to get the truth of the story of Vida's life, and we learn of Vida's haunting childhood. This book is well written, and has lots of twists and turns to keep you guessing. If you haven't yet read The Thirteenth Tale, this one is a must read!
     A second Halloween read is The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. Gaiman is well known for his Sandman comics, and his stories are a bit fantasy/horror. The Graveyard Book is Gaiman's adventure into children's literature, but don't let this fool you. This book gave me the creeps. This dark tale begins with the murder of a family. The only survivor is "Nobody" an 18 month old who escapes to a nearby graveyard. Here, he is protected from the murderer, a man named Jack, and "Nobody" is raised by the ghosts of the graveyard. The ghosts try and teach him how to live, and he has some adventures along the way.The Graveyard Book is for kids of all ages, but is intended for those ten or older. I've read a few things by Gaiman, and I have enjoyed them all.
     If neither of these sound like treats, I would recommend The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl. This is a historical mystery, that focuses on the death on Edgar Allen Poe. This is a fictional account of Poe's last days, and the main character Quentin Clark is obsessed with Poe's writings. When Poe dies, the media begins to foul Poe's name, and Clark does everything to try and clear it. This is a great read, celebrating one of the all time  best suspense and horror writers. Read some Poe, then read this book!
     So what do you recommend reading for Halloween? I would love to hear some of your picks. Please share, happy Halloween, and happy reading!!

1 comment:

  1. I just found The Passage at my library and I'm so excited to start it! I'm loving reading your recommendations, Scott! This blog is long overdue.

    ReplyDelete